Welcome, TV Creators!
Thank you for your interest in participating in ATX’s annual The Pitch Competition! The focus of this competition is YOU, the burgeoning undiscovered TV writer — and giving you the chance to take your idea for the next great TV show from pitch to screen by opening the doors to some of TV’s greatest showrunners and executives.
In working closely with our panelists, alums, advisory board, and competition partners, our ultimate goal is to give you an opportunity to not only pitch your idea to studio or network partner, but to provide one-of-a-kind access to TV’s top decision-makers, and - hopefully - get your show made! (We may open the door, but it’s your ideas and talent that keep you in the room!
- Submissions Open: November 6, 2019
- Submissions End: January 17, 2020
- Round 2 Selections Announced: February 7, 2020
- Semi-Finalists Announced: March 4, 2020
- Finalists Announced: April 2, 2020
- Finalists must confirm attendance: May 15, 2020
- Live Pitch Competition: June 4-7, 2020 at ATX Television Festival in Austin, TX (exact day/time to be announced at a later date).
Each submission consists of two parts:
- A ninety (90) second video to pitch us (and participating television executives and creatives) your great idea. It can be any kind of scripted series you want – a half hour sitcom, an hour drama for cable, a hybrid for original online content. The only two requirements are that your pitch must be for a scripted (non-reality) series, and your video cannot exceed ninety (90) seconds. (We’re checking!)
- A five to ten (5-10) page script sample of the pitch/series you are submitting. Please keep in mind that all written submissions MUST MATCH the pitch concept entered. This is your chance to show executives that you not only have a great idea, but you have the chops to write it too! [Note: it can be any 5-10 pages, not necessarily the first 5-10 pages].
Round 1: Open submissions! Anyone with an idea for a new show and a five to ten (5-10) page script sample may submit. ATX Television Festival will screen and read all submissions, and select the top twenty-five (25) from our open submissions to advance to Round 2.
Round 2: The top twenty-five (25) submissions from Round 1 (open submissions) will join an additional twenty-five (25) chosen by The Black List and Sundance Episodic Program partnership for a total of fifty (50) submissions to be screened and read by our Round 2 judges. These judges (made up of staff writers and junior executives) will select twenty (20) semi-finalists for Round 3.
Round 3 (Semi-finals): The twenty (20) semi-finalists will be judged by our panel of industry professionals, including top executives from the festival’s network/studio partners (more on them below!) – who will select ten (10) finalists.
Round 4 (Live Finals): Ah - the Live Pitch Finale! This is where the magic happens, folks! The ten (10) finalists chosen by our industry professionals will compete LIVE at ATX Television Festival Season 9 in June, with three (3) full minutes to pitch their ideas. Once all finalists have pitched, our panel of judges (showrunners & executives) will choose two runners-up and a first place winner.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Have an idea. Got it? Good.
- Film your ninety (90) second pitch, and then upload it as an unlisted video on YouTube (See – What is an unlisted YouTube video). This can be as simple as recording yourself on your iPhone, or as elaborate and high production value as you want to go. It’s your call — just make it’s no more than ninety (90) seconds. Any submissions over ninety (90) seconds will be disqualified and submission fees are non-refundable.
- Write a five to ten (5-10) page script sample of your pitch (can be any 5-10 pages, not just the first 5-10)! Remember: the script sample must match the pitch submitted. Title pages do NOT count towards your page count, and all samples must be submitted as a .PDF.
- Complete the payment form on Prekindle & submit your $40 submission fee.
- Once your submission fee has been processed, you’ll receive an email receipt directing you to our submission form. There you will enter your name, pitch title, unlisted Youtube link, writing sample, and accept the terms & conditions.
- That’s it! Well done, you did it! If you are selected for Round 2 of the Pitch Competition, you will be notified via email by February 7, 2020.
For all Official Rules and Terms & Conditions, please CLICK HERE.
To view the full list of Prizes and competition details, please visit atxfestival.com/pitch.
Good Luck, y'all!