Welcome, TV Creators!
This year’s ATX Festival’s The Pitch Competition is getting an upgrade as we partner with Southwest Airlines as part of their Artists On the Rise initiative to support up-and-coming creative talent. In an unprecedented effort to increase inclusiveness and access for ALL TV writers “on the rise,” Southwest Airlines will provide round-trip airfare to/from ATX Festival, plus three nights of hotel accommodations in Austin for ten (10) lucky finalists, who will pitch their best original ideas to a panel of industry judges LIVE at Season 8!
- Submissions Open: November 16, 2018
- Submissions End: January 18, 2019
- Round 2 Selections Announced: February 8, 2019
- Semi-Finalists Announced: March 6, 2019
- Finalists Announced: April 1, 2019
- Finalists must confirm attendance: April 30, 2019
- Live Pitch Competition: June 6 - 9, 2019 at ATX Television Festival in Austin, TX (exact day/time to be announced at a later date)
Each submission consists of two parts:
- A ninety (90) second video to pitch us (and participating television executives and creatives) your great idea. It can be any kind of scripted series you want – a half hour sitcom, an hour drama for cable, a hybrid for original online content. The only two requirements are that your pitch must be for a scripted (non-reality) series, and your video cannot exceed ninety (90) seconds. (We’re checking!)
- A five to ten (5-10) page script sample of the pitch/series you are submitting. For our veterans of the competition, this is a NEW RULE, but yes, all written submissions MUST MATCH the pitch concept entered. This is your chance to show executives that you not only have a great idea, but you have the chops to write it too! [Note: it can be any 5-10 pages, not necessarily the first 5-10 pages].
Round 1: Open submissions! Anyone with an idea for a new show and a five to ten (5-10) page script sample may submit. ATX Television Festival will screen and read all submissions, and select the top twenty-five (25) from our open submissions to advance to Round 2.
Round 2: The top twenty-five (25) submissions from Round 1 (open submissions) will join an additional twenty-five (25) chosen by The Black List and Sundance Episodic Lab partnership for a total of fifty (50) submissions to be screened and read by our Round 2 judges. These judges (made up of staff writers and junior executives) will select twenty (20) semi-finalists for Round 3.
Round 3 (Semi-finals): The twenty (20) semi-finalists will be judged by our panel of industry professionals, including top executives from the festival’s network/studio partners (more on them below!) – who will select ten (10) finalists.
Round 4 (Live Finals): Ah - the Live Pitch Finale! This is where the magic happens, folks! The ten (10) finalists chosen by our industry professionals will compete LIVE at ATX Television Festival Season 8 in June, with three (3) full minutes to pitch their ideas. Once all finalists have pitched, our panel of judges (showrunners & executives) will choose two runners-up and a first place winner. [Note: runners-up prizes are also new this year!]
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Have an idea. Got it? Good.
- Film your ninety (90) second pitch, and then upload it as an unlisted video on YouTube (See – What is an unlisted YouTube video). This can be as simple as recording yourself on your iPhone, or as elaborate and high production value as you want to go. It’s your call — just make it’s no more than ninety (90) seconds. Any submissions over ninety (90) seconds will be disqualified and submission fees are non-refundable.
- Write a five to ten (5-10) page script sample of your pitch (can be any 5-10 pages, not just the first 5-10)! Remember: the script sample must match the pitch submitted. Title pages do NOT count towards your page count, and all samples must be submitted as a .PDF.
- Complete the payment form on Prekindle & submit your $40 submission fee.
- Once your submission fee has been processed, you’ll receive an email receipt directing you to our submission form. There you will enter your name, pitch title, unlisted Youtube link, writing sample, and accept the terms & conditions.
- That’s it! Well done, you did it! If you are selected for Round 2 of the Pitch Competition, you will be notified via email by February 8, 2019.
For all Official Rules and Terms & Conditions, please CLICK HERE.
To view the full list of Prizes and competition details, please visit atxfestival.com/pitch.
Good Luck, y'all!