Dream of writing for television?
Thank you for your interest in participating in the ATX Television Festival’s sixth annual Pitch Competition! The focus of this competition is you, the burgeoning undiscovered TV writer -- and giving you the chance to take your idea for the next great TV show all the way from pitch, to completed script, to screen.
In working closely with our alums, advisory board, studio/network partners, The Black List and Sundance Story Lab, our ultimate goal is to give you an opportunity to not only pitch your idea to a studio or network partner, but also have your script read by top executives, sit in on a working writers room, and have lunch with the showrunner or executive producer to ask him/her ALL of your TV-writing questions.
This unique competition provides unparalleled opportunity and tangible access to decisionmakers — and while we may open the door, it’s your ideas and talent that keep you in the room.
HOW TO SUBMIT
1) Have an idea. Got it? Good.
2) Film your ninety (90) second pitch, and then upload it as an unlisted video on YouTube (See – What is an unlisted YouTube video). This can be as simple as recording yourself on your iPhone, or as elaborate and high production value as you want to go. It’s your call — just make it’s no more than (90) seconds. Any submissions over ninety (90) seconds will be disqualified and submission fees are non-refundable.
3) Write a ten (10) page script sample! You are required to submit a scriptwriting sample with your submission application. Your writing sample must be a ten (10) page (no more, no less) script, does NOT have to directly related to your pitch, and must be submitted as a .DOCX or .PDF.
4) Complete the payment form on Prekindle (click 'Register My Pitch' above) & submit your $40 submission fee.
5) Once your submission fee has been processed, you’ll receive an email receipt directing you to our submission form. There you will enter your name, pitch title, unlisted Youtube link, writing sample, and accept the terms & conditions.
6) That’s it! Well done, you did it! If you are selected for Round 2 of the Pitch Competition, you will be notified via email by February 9, 2018.
Good luck y’all!
PLEASE NOTE: You must be at least 18 years of age and a resident of the U.S. or Canada to submit.
1 WINNER RECEIVES...
- A week in a working writers room! Your chance to sit in on a working writer’s room and lunch with the showrunner or executive producer to ask him/her all your TV writing questions. [Note: Travel is not included. Timing and location of room may vary depending on availability.]
- A meeting with one of our judges (based on the show’s genre/judges’ availability) to explore the idea of his/her series and gain notes to better develop the series.
- After the pitch is honed, the winner will then get a pitch meeting in front of one of our studio/network partners (again, dependent on the show’s genre and style) to try and sell his or her pilot for production. Past winners have pitched to Comedy Central, NBC Universal, Hulu, Amazon, Fox Studios, Happy Madison Productions, and Sony TV Pictures*.
- Winner will also receive a three (3) month subscription to THE BLACK LIST and two (2) script evaluations to help fine-tune that pilot script!
- One (1) Industry Badge to ATX Television Festival, Season 8 (2019).
- Pitch must be 90-seconds or less. This can be as simple as recording yourself on your iPhone OR as elaborate and high production value as you want to go.
- Pitch must be uploaded to YouTube as an Unlisted video.
- Pitches may be submitted by an individual, duo, or group of up to four (4) members.
- Must be 18+ years old and a resident of the U.S. or Canada to submit.
- Submissions Open: November 1, 2017
- Submissions End: January 19, 2018
- Round 2 Finalists Announced: February 9, 2018
- Semi-Finalists Announced: March 6, 2018
- Finalists Announced: April 2, 2018
- Finalists must confirm attendance: May 4, 2018
- Live Pitch Competition: June 7-10, 2018 at ATX Television Festival in Austin, TX
All participants will receive a locked-in rate of $195 for ATX Television Festival Season 6 Festival Badge (while supplies last). Discount codes will be distributed on March 6, 2018 upon announcement of semi-finalists. Festival Badges are available in limited quantity.
For complete rules and regulations on the Pitch Competition, please visit atxfestival.com/pitch.